During the years of World War II (1941-45), Reverend E. Archer Dillard, Sr., (pictured here with his wife Eva), a pastor and Bible teacher in Charlotte, NC, was concerned about the alarming increase of alcoholism. In the summer of 1946 he approached a number of friends about organizing a "Christian retreat for alcoholics." That fall a board was formed and plans were made to purchase the Whiting estate at Shulls Mills, NC. In 1947 a men's facility was opened.
Hebron Colony Ministries, Inc. is incorporated under the laws of NC as a non-profit, non-denominational and non-sectarian corporation. It is governed by a Board of Directors.
In 1953 Grace Home for women was opened a mile from the men's facility. In 2001 it was relocated to SC situated between Holly Hill and Santee close to the Santee Cooper lakes on over forty acres of land.
Hebron Colony was the first Christian retreat for alcoholics
in the entire Southeast and has had an outstanding
record of success ever since it first opened.